Why are Black BJJ Gi's So Popular?
Its commonly known that black is a first choice colour for so many people when choosing fashion items, it appears that whilst BJJ Gi's were traditionally white and later came blue, that when it comes to choosing a BJJ gi, black is the ever increasingly popular choice
"When selecting clothing items to wear, many individuals gravitate toward black. Often, black is perceived as a sleek and flattering colour that not only minimises the effort involved in selecting outfits, but, also minimises the perception of the mass of the body." C Colour Blog
Its also worth noting IBJJF rules don't allow black gi's for competition and yet they are still the most popular choice for many Jiu Jitsu practitioners.
As a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioner I often think people choose the gi colour that looks best with their ranked belt.
At Fightstorepro we think belts work best like this but what's your thoughts?
White Gi - Anything but White belt!
Blue Gi - White, Purple and Black
Black Gi - Well....White, Purple and Brown work best
However, the reasons we think Black is so popular now is as follows:
- No matter how bad it smells it still looks clean.
- A black BJJ gi makes you feel like a Ninja.
- Batman was cool.
- You won't see blood stains or lipstick on this....Whoever it belongs to.
- Darth Vader would definitely have worn a black gi, well until he went all soft at the end.
- Looks great in contrast to rash guards.
- You can't just buy a black belt, but you can buy a black gi!
- You blend in with the shadows like Dracula....
- A black gi is so slimming and will make you look like you are a weight division or two down.
- Did we mention Ninjas?
Theres no doubt that black Gi's are an awesome choice for their style and practicality, and are loved by many for the incredibly valid reasons as shown above, however if you can think of more reason why not leave a comment below!
Check out our awesome Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Range here